Thursday 22 May 2008

Home Sweet Home

It is thirty seven years ago today since we moved into our house . It seems like only yesterday since we walked from my parents house , where we had been living , through the village . My big red pram loaded with the last bits and pieces and our five month old baby son .
We had scrimped and saved every penny for a year to get enough to put down on a house . It cost £3995 and we managed to put down £995 and got a mortgage for the rest . Back then only the husbands wage was taken into consideration when you applied for a mortgage . I had a little part time job working a few hours in my brothers shop which helped with the saving up. I gave that up when I became pregnant with No 2 son who was born the following January . There is only a year and three weeks between No 1 and No 2 . It was like having twins . I never went back to work DH was the breadwinner . We had DD two years later . We thought that was going to be it but we had a little surprise four and half years later when No3 son made an appearance. It's been a happy house and the children all have great memories of what we used to do . I never went out to work whilst they where growing up , I was professional Mum and loved every minute of it . We managed to bring four children up and pay the mortgage off eight years early all off one wage . I think we were lucky ,young people today struggle to pay mortgages with two wages coming in and Mums have to go back to work to pay the bills .

No comments: